60-second shape-up: Suppress your appetite and burn 100 calories fast
Jenna and Joy's 60-second tips to shape upPlay Video
Washington Woman Dies of Measles
Veterans Asking for Courtesy with Fireworks
Alzheimer's Study Finds Caregiver Link
Liberia Fears Another Ebola Outbreak
With summer just around the corner, many of us are looking to drop weight and get into short-shorts and tank-top shape. To help get the job done, every day this week I'm featuring tricks and strategies…..in 60 seconds flat!
Joy Bauer: 4 tricks to suppress your appetitePlay Video
Leave the oven off to make strawberry milkshake pie
Elise Strachan makes cool-kitchen lemon cheesecake jars
Meet the hot dog eating competition champs!
Mixing a drink? More women are now reaching for bourbon
Ready for Day One? Presenting 4 simple tips to suppress your appetite!
1. Sniff peppermint. A study found that when participants smelled peppermint throughout the day, they consumed fewer total calories and rated their hunger level significantly lower than participants not exposed to peppermint. So light a peppermint candle, chew on peppermint gum, or sip on peppermint tea.
2. Add chia seeds to your food. Chia seeds are loaded with fiber and they swell in your stomach (up to 9 times their size!) so you’ll feel full and satisfied for hours. And these tiny gems are easy to incorporate. Simply sprinkle a teaspoon or two on oatmeal, yogurt, or toss them into smoothies and pancake batter. Need a tasty recipe or two? Try my Fruity-Chia Smoothie, and this hearty Pumpkin-Chia Oatmeal.
3. Eat an apple a day to keep hunger at bay. Thanks to the combo of pectin, soluble fiber, high water content, and a whole lot of chewing, apples are the perfect appetite-taming food. And, they’re low in calories and totable – making them an all-around home run.
4. Drink 2 cups of water before breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This trick helps to fill your system with fluid, taking the edge off your hunger so you're likely to eat less food during mealtime. If you go for seltzer or sparkling water, the bubbles can create an even greater sensation of fullness. So sip away!
Jenna's moves burn 100 calories in minutesPlay Video
Military wife honored as our Fan of the Week
Never miss out: TODAY is now available on demand!
Bobbie's last 'Bobbie's Buzz' is filled with surprises
Who wrote the 'Star-Spangled Banner'?
Burn 100 calories in 10 minutes
As part of the 60-second weight-loss plan, anchor Jenna Wolfe says you don’t need a lot of equipment, time or money to burn fat and calories. These exercise can be done anywhere in very little space.
Start your stopwatch.
- Do 10 squats
- 10 plank jacks with push up — while holding the plank with your arms, make a jumping jack motion with your legs; jump your legs wide and then back together
- 10 high knees
That should take you about 40 seconds. Rest for the remainder of minute one. That will help get your heart rate down.
Then repeat. When you’re done with the second round, rest until the end of the minute.
Do it 10 times. You can switch up the exercises as long as you’re getting in at least one strength move and one high-intensity cardio move.
Come back for Tuesday's "60-Second Shape Up" for tips on how to boost your metabolism