Make enchiladas for Cinco de MayoPlay Video
Former gang rivals providing affordable meals with 'Trap Kitchen'
Spiced chicken wraps and sweet pea guacamole: Try the heathy recipe!
5-Ingredient Pesto Chicken by Hoda Kotb's Mom
Baked chicken wings, Cleveland-style: How to make the local treat
Serve up a healthier Mexican meal for Cinco de Mayo with Chef Lala's green chicken enchiladas.
- 1 pound tomatillos, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 small onion
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 11/2 pounds boneless, skinless
- cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 6 ounces cotija cheese or feta cheese
- 1 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 20 corn tortillas
- 6 ounces queso fresco or
- Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cilantro (optional)
1. Make enchilada sauce by placing tomatillos in small saucepan; add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cook over medium heat 15 minutes or until tomatillos are tender. Strain tomatillos and discard cooking liquid. Place tomatillos in blender or food processor with garlic, onion, cilantro and broth; purée until smooth. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Add flour and stir until brown. Add enchilada sauce to skillet. Stir to combine. Lower heat and cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. 2. In mixing bowl, combine chicken, cotija cheese and 3 tablespoons enchilada sauce. 3. Heat 1 cup oil in medium skillet. Dip each tortilla, 1 at a time, in oil until soft (about 10 seconds). Place tortillas on baking pan. Spoon one-fourth chicken and cheese mixture into tortilla. Roll up tortilla; place seam-side down into skillet. 4. Cover enchiladas with warm sauce. Top with queso fresco. Heat over medium heat 5 minutes or until warm. Garnish with cilantro. Serve immediately.
- 2 cups mango, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion
- 3 serrano chiles, finely diced
- 1 large avocado, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine all ingredients in medium bowl. Stir to combine.