Britain’s Princes William and Harry plan to stage a concert with performers including Elton John next year to mark the 10th anniversary of the death of their mother Princess Diana, a newspaper reported Sunday.
The Sunday Mirror reported that the brothers would arrange the event, scheduled to be held July 1, 2007 at London’s renovated Wembley Stadium, which can hold around 90,000 spectators.
Proceeds would be donated to British homeless charity Centrepoint and other causes supported by Diana, the newspaper reported. It was expected to be screened live on television.
Paddy Harverson, spokesman for Prince Charles, who divorced Diana in 1996, could not immediately confirm the report.
“We’re considering a number of options on how best to commemorate next year. William and Harry will make a decision in due course,” Harverson said.
Britain’s Mail on Sunday newspaper reported that the princes planned to approach Madonna, Beyonce and Kylie Minogue to perform at the event.
Diana, 36, her boyfriend Dodi Fayed, 42, and their driver Henri Paul, 41, all died when their car crashed at high speed in the Pont d’Alma tunnel in Paris, France, on Aug. 31, 1997.
Retired senior judge Dame Elizabeth Butler-Sloss is holding an inquest into the deaths and is awaiting a report on the crash by Lord John Stevens, former head of London’s Metropolitan Police.
Rumors and conspiracy theories continue to swirl around Diana’s death, despite a French judge’s 1999 ruling that the crash was an accident. An investigation later concluded that Paul had been drinking and was driving at high speed.
Stevens said in January that his investigation was “far more complex than any of us thought,” but did not specify what he meant.