Say goodbye to overstretched jeans and wrinkled work wear. Thanks to new technology, your wardrobe is about to get a material makeover. Style expert Jenn Falik reveals how your favorite fashion basics got a new and improved look.
With all of the technology now available in the fashion industry, everyday basic items are becoming anything but. This is great news for consumers because now you are getting more bang for your buck — prices are comparable to the original versions, but the benefits are priceless.
T-shirts that keep you cool
- These T-shirts contain 5% pure silver, bonded permanently to the garment fiber, resulting in one of the most comfortable, temperature-regulating and bacteria-resistant undergarments you will ever wear. Silver has been known for centuries as a powerful antimicrobial and thermodynamic element — and these shirts help you regulate temperature so you are warmer in the shade and cooler under the sun. Additionally, they transport moisture away from your body faster and eliminate odor. Fitted T -shirts that flatter the figure also tend to show every drop of sweat — but with these, not a chance.
- Where can I get it? Est. 1887 T-shirts: $135; Est1887.com
Jeans that keep their shape
- There is a new secret weapon in several denim brands: XFIT LYCRA® Denim. Denim made from XFIT LYCRA® fabric has the look and feel of cotton (without the rigid factor) and the ease of leggings. The 360 degrees of stretch creates a customized fit that hugs curves from all angles, no matter the body shape. This new, innovative denim allows designers to employ aggressive washes and abrasions that previously led to the breakdown of the fabric and ill-fitting, saggy jeans. Shape retention means jeans do not bag or sag in the knees or bum. Once you try jeans with this material, you will be hooked. Abercrombie & Fitch, J Brand and Serafontaine and True Religion currently use this breakthrough material.
- Where can I get it? Xfitlycra.com
A no-wrinkle suit that you can throw in the wash
- With this patented technology, The Limited provides women with a wear-to-work suiting system that combines the ease and comfort of a machine-washable garment with the classic fashion of a sexy, stylish business suit. The Perfect Travel Suit shows remarkable wrinkle resistance and only requires an occasional spot ironing after the wash. The innovative tailoring is specially designed to withstand normal machine washing, while the specialized construction of the jacket allows it to keep its shape, even after multiple washes.
- Where can I get it? Limited stores; $98
The cocktail dress that always fits
- Susana Monaco's basic cocktail dresses are amazing for two reasons: First, the straps are adjustable (so no need to deal with tailoring) and second, there are no zippers — everything is elasticized to give you just enough room to “grow,” but cut in such a way that the fit is always close to the body and flattering. On top of all that, the pockets are perfectly placed. These dresses fit flawlessly every time — and never, ever need to be tailored.
- Where can I get it? Susana Monaco Mae Tank Dress; $268; Revolveclothing.com
Layering T’s that slim your silhouette
- Yummie Tummie slims the midsection and camouflages visible lumps and bumps while remaining extremely comfortable. Unlike most shapers that compress your bust and roll up, the Yummie Tummie’s cotton bust and hip panels appear to the outsider as a normal tank top; meanwhile, the secret midsection panel is smoothing and eliminates pounds from your appearance. Yummie Tummie is the first shaper garment that is top oriented, designed to be worn each and every day as a foundation or layering piece.
- Where can I get it? Yummie Tummies: $62; Shopintuition.com