It seems as if everyone and everything now a days is trying to be green and eco-friendly. From eco-friendly cosmetics to eco-chic organic fabrics — to be in style you must be eco. Well, now the next trend to watch is vegan. We’re talking vegan accessories, handbags, shoes, belts and wallets all made without using any animal products. Lucky Magazine’s Allyson Waterman is showing how when it comes to this spring’s accessories you can be sexy, stylish and animal-friendly.
"Eco-chic" is the new buzzword when it comes to fashion. Mainstream companies are rolling out organic-fabric clothes and beauty companies are doing anything they can to compensate for it. Could vegan-friendly accessories be the next wave? The May issue of Lucky has an increasing number of faux-leather products, which are still sexy and stylish. But what does vegan mean when it comes to fashion? It means any products derived from an animal were not used. Truly vegan accessories use synthetic leather, vegetable dies and vegetable based glues. Thanks to Stella McCartney, who started the trend many others are committed to avoiding leather and fur, and also any animal-based glues or dyes. She (McCartney) started the trend, now we have the next wave.To be truly vegan sounds good but it’s not that easy to do. It takes a lot of research and effort. It's for people interested in fashion and in being eco friendly, trying to do their part, feeling better about a frivolous purchases. People are overwhelmed by the subject of global warming and eco talk. They feel helpless. This is a small way that you can participate. These items provide an affordable, fashionable alternative for people to embrace. These are small ways for eco friendly to seep into the consciousness of people. And lucky for you this stuff is cute!
All women love trendy handbags. You can get the styles and colors you love in vegan bags. The vegetable dyes used to create the hottest colors of the season are non-toxic and safe for the environment. Synthetic leather can even be pressed to look like real animal skins. Plus this season, yellow is very trendy, white is big and the oversized clutch was seen a lot on the runway this year. These bags dispel the weird-vegan-granola-hippie thing.
- Talulah beige cotton canvas satchel w/ gold details, $375, nyartificial.com
- Vamp bags python print shoulder laptop bag, $255, nyartificial.com
- Danielle Nicolle black reconstituted vinyl clutch w/ ultra suede lining and gold plated hardware, $225, nyartificial.com
Most women who love shoes would be amazed to know that there are sexy, strappy styles that are vegan. This season patent leather is a huge trend. And guess what? You can get the look using synthetic leather. Even metallics are available in vegan materials.
- Faux red patent leather, $66, bboheme.com
- Black cotton and faux snakeskin T-strap, $66, bboheme.com
- Chestnut ballet flat with velvet trim, $51, bboheme.com
- Silver faux snakeskin with lattice detail, $66, bboheme.com
Belts are a huge trend this season. Vegan belts are available in everything – from this season's brights to more subdued neutrals.
- Green faux crocodile thin belt, $20, bboheme.com
- Jesse Kahn wide red reconstituted vinyl belt, $85, nyartificial.com
- Jesse Kahn wide brown treetap, $95, nyartificial.com
Want to do a simple thing to help the environment and the animals? Buy a wallet. These small accessories are cute and they make great gifts.
- Black suedette and vegan croco wallet, $27, bboheme.com
- White wallet, $60, mattandnat.com
- Blue Robert Smith wallet/clutch, $55, mattandnat.com