Country sensation Taylor Swift and actress/singer Selena Gomez caught major waves at the Teen Choice awards on Sunday, with Swift scooping up six surfboard trophies including one for Ultimate Teen Choice.
Swift, who soared to popularity in 2006 at age 16 with her self-titled debut album, was named the favorite female artist, country singer and red carpet fashion icon. She also scored with best country single for her song "Mean" and choice breakup song "Back to December."
Accepting her Ultimate Teen Choice surfboard onstage, Swift, 21, thanked her fans and joked that "it's been a long time since I was a teenager, like two years."
She noted how teenagers often are teased by adults because they are "intense" or "romantic," but she encouraged kids in the audience and watching at home on the Fox TV network, saying: "I think all those things are amazing things, and to all the teens watching, I hope you never lose those things."
The Teen Choice Awards are an annual stop on Hollywood's award circuit and give actors, musicians and other artists who are popular with kids the chance to thank their fans.
Gomez, 19, who performed her hit single "I Love You Like a Love Song" with her band The Scene, won choice TV actress in a drama for her role in "Wizards of Waverly Place." She was also named choice "hottie," and The Scene scored the award for top band and for single of the year with their song "Who Says."
Justin Bieber, Gomez's 17-year-old actor-singer boyfriend, picked up four surfboard-shaped trophies as choice male music artist, male hottie, twit and TV villain for his "CSI" guest starring role. Other multiple winners included "Glee," "The Vampire Diaries," "The Twilight Saga," "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" and Robert Pattinson, who was named choice vampire for his role in the popular "Twilight" romance movies. He was also named best movie actor in a drama.
"The Big Bang Theory" leading lady Kaley Cuoco hosted the 13th annual extravaganza at Universal Studios Hollywood's Gibson Amphitheatre. Between dispensing awards like candy, Cuoco battled "Chuck" star Zachary Levi in table tennis, danced alongside "America's Best Dance Crew" winners Poreotix and jokingly quizzed teenagers about current affairs.
There were moments of seriousness amid the silliness. Sean Kingston made his first live televised appearance since recovering from injuries he suffered after crashing a watercraft into a Miami Beach bridge in May. And perhaps the most poignant honor was not a Teen Choice surfboard, but a special "Inspire" trophy that went to Demi Lovato, an 18-year-old singer and actress who late last year pulled out of a concert tour to enter rehab for abuse issues.
Since then, Lovato has talked openly about her problems with eating disorders and cutting herself that she linked to being bullied at school when she was younger. And she started a foundation called Love Is Louder Than the Pressure to be Perfect to help kids combat peer pressure.
"You guys are what got me through this last year," she said to screaming fans at the Teen Choice Awards. "Love is louder, I love you guys so much."
Other winners who picked up surfboard-shaped trophies included Cameron Diaz as choice movie comedy actress for "Bad Teacher," Ellen DeGeneres as choice comedian and Ashton Kutcher as choice romantic comedy movie actor for "No Strings Attached." Before leading the crowd in a singalong of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream," Kutcher provided some topical advice.
"Don't ever charge anything on a credit card if you don't already have the money in the bank to pay for it," he said.
The ceremony ended with a tribute to the "Harry Potter" film franchise. The final two installments apparently bewitched online voters, winning such categories as choice sci-fi/fantasy movie, liplock, villain for Tom Felton and summer movie star for both Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe, who accepted his surfboard via satellite from New York.
Winners from the 13th annual Teen Choice Awards:
- Choice Movie Action: "Fast Five."
- Choice Movie Actor Action — Johnny Depp, "The Tourist."
- Choice Movie Actress Action — Angelina Jolie, "The Tourist."
- Choice Movie Sci-Fi/Fantasy: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1."
- Choice Movie Actor Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Taylor Lautner, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
- Choice Movie Actor Romantic Comedy: Ashton Kutcher, "No Strings Attached."
- Choice Movie Actress Romantic Comedy: Emma Stone, "Easy A."
- Choice Movie Actress Comedy — Cameron Diaz, "Bad Teacher."
- Choice Movie Actor Drama: Robert Pattinson, "Water for Elephants."
- Choice Movie Villain: Tom Felton, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1."
- Choice Movie Liplock — Emma Watson and Daniel Radcliffe, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1."
- Choice Movie Hissy Fit: Ed Helms, "The Hangover Part II."
- Choice Movie Male Scene Stealer: Kellan Lutz, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
- Choice Movie Female Scene Stealer: Ashley Greene, "The Twilight Saga: Eclipse."
- Choice Summer Movie: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2"
- Choice Summer Movie Star Male: Daniel Radcliffe, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."
- Choice Summer Movie Star Female: Emma Watson, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2."
- Choice TV Show Drama: "Gossip Girl."
- Choice TV Actress Drama: Blake Lively, "Gossip Girl."
- Choice TV Show Fantasy/Sci-Fi: "The Vampire Diaries"
- Choice TV Actor Fantasy/Sci-Fi: Ian Somerhalder, "The Vampire Diaries."
- Choice TV Actress Fantasy/Sci-Fi: Nina Dobrev, "The Vampire Diaries."
- Choice TV Male Scene Stealer: Michael Trevino, "The Vampire Diaries."
- Choice TV Female Scene Stealer: Katerina Graham, "The Vampire Diaries."
- Choice TV Villain: Justin Bieber, "CSI."
- Choice TV Reality Show: "Jersey Shore."
- Choice TV Male Reality/Variety Star: Paul "Pauly D" Del Vecchio, "Jersey Shore."
- Choice TV Show Comedy: "Glee."
- Choice TV Actor Comedy: Cory Monteith, "Glee."
- Choice TV Actress Comedy: Selena Gomez, "Wizards of Waverly Place."
- Choice TV Breakout Star: Darren Criss, "Glee."
- Choice Music Male Artist: Justin Bieber.
- Choice Music Female Artist: Taylor Swift.
- Choice Music Group: Selena Gomez and The Scene
- Choice Music Single: "Who Says," Selena Gomez and The Scene.
- Choice Music Female Country Artist: Taylor Swift.
- Choice Music Country Single: "Mean," Taylor Swift.
- Choice Music Love Song: "Love You Like a Love Song," Selena Gomez.
- Choice Music Breakup Song: "Back to December," Taylor Swift.
- Choice Summer Music Star Male: Bruno Mars.
- Choice Summer Music Star Female: Katy Perry.
- Choice Summer Song: "Skyscraper," Demi Lovato.
- Choice Red Carpet Fashion Icon Female: Taylor Swift.
- Choice Male Hottie: Justin Bieber.
- Choice Female Hottie: Selena Gomez.
- Choice Comedian: Ellen DeGeneres.
- Choice Twit: Justin Bieber.
- Choice Vampire: Robert Pattinson.
- Choice Web Star: Rebecca Black.
- Ultimate Choice Award: Taylor Swift.