Joe Bastianich’s healthy white bean stew
Whether you’re running a marathon or a mile, you need the right food to stay energized. Joe Bastianich, a chef, restaurateur, winemaker and marathoner, has the perfect dish: white bean stew with Swiss chard and tomatoes. Not only is this meal nutritious and flavorful, it’s also easy to make.
4 servings/ Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 pounds Swiss chard, large stems discarded and leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup canned tomatoes, chopped
- One 16-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 8 minutes. Drain the greens and gently press out excess water.2. In the saucepan, heat the oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden, 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add the beans and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the chard and simmer over moderate heat until the flavors meld, 5 minutes. Season the stew with salt and serve.
Wine to serve with this dish: Earthy, cherry-rich Sangiovese:2007 Canneto Rosso di Montepulciano.One serving: 274 cal, 16 gm fat, 2.1 gm sat fat, 13 gm carb, 11 gm fiber