Cook like a chef: Poached halibut with sauce vierge
Try poached halibut with basil, lemon, capersPlay Video
SORTEDfood make a shrimp boil with mussels and fried pickles
How to upgrade your mayonnaise
Perfect pair: The best wines for July 4 barbecues
Easy Does it! How do you keep burgers juicy?
Just because it sounds like dish straight out of a restaurant doesn't mean you can't make it at home. Here, chef Eric Ripert has the perfect recipe for you to try making. He shares his shallow poached halibut with sauce vierge.
The Sauce Vierge
- 1 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced tarragon
- 1 tablespoon minced basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped Nicoise olives
- Juice of half a lemon
- 4 ripe tomatoes sliced thinly, about 1/4 - inch
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced basil
- 4 (6-ounce) Halibut filets, sliced lengthwise into thirds, about 3/4- inch thick
- 2 cups water (more if needed)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
1. The make the sauce, place the extra virgin olive oil in a mixing bowl and add the shallot, parsley, tarragon, basil, capers and olives. Stir to combine the ingredients and transfer to a small container. The sauce can be made a couple hours ahead and kept at room temperature. 2. Make the plates just before cooking the fish by fanning the sliced tomatoes in a circle in the center of four plates and season lightly with salt and white pepper. 3. Place a large sauté pan on medium-low heat and add the water, the extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice, lightly season the liquid with salt and white pepper. Season the slices of halibut on both sides with salt and white pepper and place in a single layer in the warmed poaching liquid. The liquid should come about halfway up the fish, adjust if needed with more. Cook the fish for about 2-3 minutes, then flip the slices and cook on the other side until they are just warmed in the center. 4. To plate: place three slices of the poached halibut in the center of each plate, shingled/slightly overlapping. Finish the sauce with the fresh lemon juice and spoon over the fish and plate, garnish each dish with the thinly sliced basil and serve immediately.