Mom sounds alarm after son’s mosquito bite causes seizure, sends him to the hospital

02:01

One mother is warning others about a rare but disturbing disease after her 6-year-old son was hospitalized for nearly a week after getting bit by a mosquito. LoriAnne Surret says her son was apparently bit while outdoors and soon after suffered a headache and later a seizure. She says doctors diagnosed him with La Crosse encephalitis, a virus transmitted through mosquito bites which can cause swelling in the brain. NBC’s Kristen Dahlgren reports.