Get Stuff We Love
As far as fabrics go, nothing looks quite as rich and inviting as velvet. Whether you’re going for a slinky, sultry evening look or a sophisticated work vibe, velvet hits the mark every time — which is why we’re so excited this '90s trend is back in a big way for fall.
From luxe ankle boots to jaw-dropping party dresses, we’ve rounded up the velvet pieces you need to know now.
When it comes to velvet tops, our advice is to avoid anything too tight or short — unless you're layering it over a T-shirt. Instead, let the sumptuous material steal the show and opt for a simple yet pretty silhouette.
1. Doran Tee, $78, Free People
2. Darcy Velvet Wrap Bodysuit, $26, Boohoo
3. Wrap Cami Top, $46, ASOS
4. Velvet Top, $40, Zara
5. Kendall & Kylie Velvet Cami Tank Top, $30, Pacsun
Furry slippers and embroidered boots can step aside — as far as we’re concerned, velvet is the shoe to own this fall. Whether you opt for an ankle boot, loafers or pumps, make sure a pair of plush soles ends up in your closet.
6.Rococo Velvet Boot, $98, Nasty Gal
7. Velvet Ankle Booties, $40, Forever 21
8. Marc Fisher Shaylie Mary Jane Pumps, $79, Macy's
9. Krazy Pointed Boot, $60, Topshop
10. Presley Velvet Ankle Boot, $98, Urban Outfitters
11. Edit Velvet Bootie, $50, Modcloth
12. Steve Madden Bway Velvet Loafers, $70, Saks Off 5th
Swap out your boring trousers for a pair of rich velvet slacks. From dressy dinner parties to work events and more, pants are a “wow” factor when they come in a high-impact fabric.
13. FRS Brown Velvet Flare Pants, $43, Front Row Shop
14. Self-Portrait Paneled Velvet and Satin Tapered Pants, $85, The Outnet
15. Boden Velvet Trouser, $43, Boden
16. Velvet Carrot Trousers, $50, Zara
17. LC Lauren Conrad Runway Collection Wide-Leg Velvet Pants, $45, Kohl's
18. Velvet Crushed Trouser, $100, Topshop
19. Velvet Trousers, $80, Mango
Ditch any notion that velvet frocks only work at holiday parties. From slip dresses to T-shirt dresses and beyond, the latest versions look great with sneakers, pumps and everything in between. Start throwing these on in the early days of fall— we promise this will be the style star of the season.
20. Velvet Long Sleeve Column Dress, $73, ASOS
21. Erin Velvet Wrap Over Dress, $35, Boohoo
22. Green Velvet Slip Midi Dress, $84, Pixie Mart
23. Turtleneck Velvet Dress, $65, & Other Stories
24. Club L Plus Wrap Front Cape Midi Dress, $59, ASOS
25. Aqua Crushed Velvet Slip Dress, $68, Bloomingdale's
A touch of texture can go a long way. If you’re unsure how to incorporate velvet into your current wardrobe, try dipping your toes into the trend with one accent piece. From bags and headbands to chokers and scarves, we think a little velvet goes a long way.
26. River Island Black Velvet Tassel Long Scarf, $24, River Island
27. Vanessa Mooney Velvet Chocker Necklace, $35, Shopbop
28. Dune Elliemay Velvet Clutch Bag, $43, Selfridges
29. Velvet Balls Earrings, $10, Mango
30. Crushed Velvet Hairband, $10, H&M
31. Chan Luu Velvet Crystal Choker, $30, The Outnet