Get Stuff We Love
At TODAY we take care to recommend items we hope you’ll enjoy! Just so you know, TODAY may get a small share of the revenue.
Using interviews with specialists, online reviews and personal experience, TODAY editors, writers and experts take care to recommend items we really like and hope you’ll enjoy! TODAY does have affiliate relationships with various online retailers. So, while every product is independently selected, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the revenue.
It's a new year and that means tons of new trends are coming our way. One closet staple that somehow always evolves year after year is denim.
Lifestyle expert Melissa Garcia stopped by TODAY Thursday to share the biggest denim trends for 2019. Prepare yourself, low-rise jeans are indeed on the rise again. And if the other six trends on this list are any indication, '90s style is still making a comeback.
Whether you're looking to revamp your style or just want some new jeans, we have a ton of great options for you to consider.
Straight cut or straight leg jeans are similar to skinny jeans, except with more breathing room. The width of the hem is straight from the hip to the ankle, which gives them a comfortable fit that can be worn with heels, flats or sneakers.
- The Cheeky Straight Jean, $68, Everlane
These sky blue straight cut jeans are a more relaxed fit that are engineered "for the perfect rear fit," according to the manufacturer.
- Washed Black Pinstripe Jeans, $80, Topshop
These fashion-forward jeans are high-rise with straight legs, a washed black pinstripe design and raw hems.
Shop more straight cut denim:
- Lucky Brand Sweet 'N Straight-Leg Jeans, Macy's
- Reformation Julia High Waist Cigarette Jeans, Nordstrom
- Mid Rise Perfect Boot Jeans, $70, Gap
These jeans are slim through the hip and thigh with a bootcut leg opening. The classic medium wash is perfect to wear all year long.
- Mid Rise Seamed Stretch Bootcut Jeans, $80, Express
These bootcut jeans feature a stretchy fabric and distinctive line details.
Shop more bootcut denim:
- Style & Co Curvy-Fit Bootcut Jeans, Macy's
- Wit & Wisdom Ab-solution Itty Bitty Bootcut Jeans, Nordstrom
This style is basically a skinny jean with some extra fabric at the bottom to give it that slouchy look. Melissa said this style is best to wear with a heal.
- Ami Skinny Jeans, $99 (usually $119), NYDJ
These skinny jeans look flattering and timeless. They're available in a wide range of sizes, as well as three different washes.
- Levi’s Wedgie High-Rise Jean, $98, Urban Outfitters
Like the other '90s-inspired trends, these jeans have a vintage look. They're slightly slouchy through the thigh and taper in at the ankle.
Shop more slouchy skinny denim:
Although many of us may not be too excited about the return of low-rise jeans, the trend is now being made with stretchier material, which can make them more comfortable and flattering.
- Emma Low-Rise Skinny, $125 (usually $179), DL1961
This classic low-rise skinny jean comes in tons of different washes. If you're hesitant about the low-rise trend, this is a very versatile one to try.
- HyBrid & Company Super Stretch Low-Rise Jeans, $23, Amazon
These low-rise jeans are a blend of cotton, polyester and spandex, so they're very stretchy and comfortable. They're also available in a variety of different washes.
Shop more low-rise denim:
Baggy Wide Leg
The baggy wide leg jeans are a spin on the "mom jeans." They can be chic and casual at the same time.
- Mid Stone Wide Leg Jeans, $90, TopShop
- BDG Baggy Low-Rise Wide Leg Jeans, $69, Urban Outfitters
These light blue jeans are '90s-inspired with a relaxed fit. They hit around the ankle, so they're ideal for showing off your favorite shoes.
Shop more baggy wide-leg denim:
- Fidelity Denim Taylor Painted Crop Wide Leg Jeans, Nordstrom
- Hudson Jeans Holly High-Rise Raw-Hem Gaucho Jeans, Saks Fifth Avenue
The paperbag waist trend has been seen in denim and other trouser materials as well. It's basically extra material at the waist that is cinched with a belt or tie.
- Vepodrau High Waist Paperbag Jeans, $19, Amazon
These stylish high-waisted jeans are ankle length and include a belt that ties. This style denim can be easily dressed up or down.
Shop more paperbag-waist denim:
- Jean Atelier Cinch Paperbag Waist Jeans, MatchesFashion
- Prosperity Denim Paperbag Waist Skinny Jeans, Nordstrom
Two-tone jeans are exactly what they sound like. They usually have a darker or lighter tone along the sides or the bottom.
- V.I.P. JEANS Frayed Hem Jeans, $15 and up, Amazon
These jeans are a blend of cotton and spandex, so they have great stretch. The light wash with darker strips down the seams is a very trendy look.
- Tach Clothing Two-Tone Cropped Flare Jean, $110, Urban Outfitters
These fun two-tone jeans have a contrasting block going down the sides with a frayed hem.
Shop more two-tone denim:
- Sanctuary Modern Standard Two-Tone Raw Hem Crop Jeans, Nordstrom
- I.N.C. Two-Tone Coated Skinny Jeans, Macy's
For more 2019 trends, check out some of these favorites:
- Style and beauty trends for the new year: fanny packs, neon and more
- 8 healthy food and beverage trends set to take off in 2019