There's no denying that Lupita Nyong'o is a powerhouse on both the silver screen and the red carpet. So it's no surprise that when she stopped by TODAY Wednesday, her outfit was a showstopper.
The 32-year-old star wore a deep purple midi dress by Michael Kors as she chatted with Savannah Guthrie about her breakout role in the Broadway show "Eclipsed" and weighed in on the #OscarsSoWhite controversy. Nyong'o completed the look with purple pumps from the SJP Collection and a bag (not pictured) from Zac Posen.
The actress certainly looked ravishing in this eggplant hue (let's be honest, she's a master of wearing just about any color), but it's the style of the dress that really caught our eye. As we head into spring, cutouts are slated to be one of the season's biggest trends.
While the skin-baring trend can seem quite daring, Nyong'o's ensemble proves just how sophisticated a cutout dress can be. Going with a longer hemline — in this case, a midi length that hits below the knee — is key. It creates a streamlined look on any body type. We also love how Nyong'o went for a dress with one simple cutout. Remember: Sometimes less is more.
The star's dress might be the perfect look for a cocktail party or special night out on the town. Pair this type of dress with strappy sandals and a simple clutch to really let the cutout shine.
If Nyong'o's look has inspired your next fashionista moment, you can create a similar look on a budget. TODAY found nine cutout dresses with midi hemlines all under $75. Here's to having your next style moment!
1. Panel Cut-Out Midi Dress, $70, TOPSHOP
2. Cheap Monday Tank Dress With Cut Out Detail, $65, ASOS
3. Glam Rampage Cutout Maxi Dress, $78.00, Nasty Gal
4. Cutout Bodycon Midi Dress, $24.90, Forever 21
5. Dare Devil Cut Out Midi Dress, $58, TOBI
6. Paint It Red Cutout Dress, $58.00, Forever 21
7. Conversation Piece Wine Red Backless Maxi Dress, $68.00, LuLu's
8. Musical Flares Mini Dress, $68.00, Nasty Gal
9. Reverse Night Cap Dress, $67.00, Forever 21