Our editors independently selected these items because we think you will enjoy them and might like them at these prices. If you purchase something through our links, we may earn a commission. Pricing and availability are accurate as of publish time. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
It’s officially time to pull out our favorite springtime staple: the classic, creamy double-breasted trench. This go-to jacket is perfect for a transitional season or to protect indoor clothes from the rain, but did you know that there are many ways to wear it?
Here are five unique ways you can freshen up your favorite trench with a few stylish twists and knots.
Shop the look: Trench Coat, $58, Old Navy
The asymmetrical front knot
We love this minimalist approach that looks effortless, cool and unfussy. Added style points: You can nail this style as you rush out the door.
- Pull belt in front of you, ensuring that the buckled end is slightly longer.
- Tie a knot.
- Loop the buckled end.
- Guide the opposite tip over and into knot.
- Pull to secure.
The downward loop
This is the go-to style for the fashion-forward set. The added thoughtfulness of the cinch creates an artful aesthetic to this outerwear classic.
- Begin by buckling belt.
- Tuck loose tip under and up through the cinched belt.
- Feed downward into open loop.
- Pull to tighten.
We love this feminine look and how well is complements girly accessories. Think: a ruffled skirt and statement floral earrings.
- Tie a knot, make sure both ends are even.
- Loop one end then feed buckled end into the loop (so that the buckle hangs down).
- Give a slight tug to secure.
The wrap around
Get the illusion of a cinched waist while showing off your entire ensemble!
- Hang the coat on a rack or hook with the back facing you. Make sure the buckled end should be significantly longer.
- Cross buckled end over opposite tip.
- Fold underneath, then over (like you’re tying a tie).
- Pull belt through back of knot.
- Finally, feed through loop you’ve made in the front.
- Pull to tighten.
The bandanna belt
Make a colorful statement by replacing your trench’s belt with a gorgeous silk or soft cotton scarf.
- Remove original belt and grab a colorful scarf; almost any size will do.
- Feed scarf through belt loops.
- Tie a quick knot using both ends.