Get Stuff We Love
There's nothing quite as effortless — or as romantic — as a braid. But what's really special about your classic braid?
Well, that's where the fishtail braid comes in.
This cool and unique braid is a red carpet favorite of Blake Lively, and we can certainly see why. It's sophisticated, chic and even easier to do than your classic braid.
What you'll need:
1. A flat brush
Pro tip: This will help get your hair smooth and ready to be braided.
3. Two hair elastics
Pro tip: Use elastics that are either clear or match the color of your hair, so they blend in.
Here's what to do:
1. Start by giving the hair a super smooth blow dry.
Pro tip: This will give your braid that salon finished look when you're done.
2. Pull the hair back into a low ponytail and secure with a hair tie.
3. Make a space above the hair tie and twist the ponytail inside this space to hide the elastic.
4. Separate the hair into two sections.
5. Start from either section and a take a small subsection of the hair and cross it over to the other side.
6. From the opposite section, take another small subsection and cross over your first section.
7. Repeat until all of the hair is braided
Pro tip: Feeling like you mastered the fishtail? Give it a twist by switching to a classic braid at the end.
8. Secure with an elastic.
9. Pancake the hair (that's a hairstylist's term for flattening out the braid by tugging at different strands) and voila!
Pro tip: Pancaking is what will really take your braid to the next level by giving it a sophisticated, effortless look.
10. Finish off with hairspray to keep your look in place all day long.