Get Stuff We Love
When I first saw Tina Fey’s eviscerating "Saturday Night Live" sketch about the horrors of mom jeans, I was filled not with disdain, but with desire.
Fashion trends come and go, but (at least for me) muffin tops are forever. Ever since giving birth to my son six years ago — and if I’m honest, years before that — I’ve dealt with a very obstinate and immutable roll of belly fat. It’s been impervious to barre classes, ab workouts and diets. I can drop inches everywhere else, but in my 40s, my waist will not budge.
The popularity of low-rise jeans in '90s, preferably with thongs loudly and proudly on display (a style once favored by Britney Spears), was a moment of denim despair for me. To be able to wear them, I’d need a full bodysuit that would squash and push down all that flab to create a lean line. You want to talk about discomfort and sweat in the wrong places?
So, for years, I circumvented the ubiquitous style dictates and relied on skirts, skipping jeans altogether. That is, until the return of my beloved and dearly missed high-waisted pants. Angelina Jolie and Katie Holmes have worn them, as have Kendall Jenner, Reese Witherspoon and Miranda Kerr. I love them!
While I’m nowhere near as chic as any of the above, I do have two go-to styles:
1. The High-Rise Slim Boyjean, $90 (usually $128), Madewell
This has been my go-to style since the wondrous mom jean has made a major comeback.
2. J Brand Joan Cuffed High Waist Crop Flare Jeans, $248, Nordstrom
Also available at Shopbop.
Yes, they're pricey, but you can wear them everything: tight tops, boxy blouses, tucked in or not. There’s no worry about anything unwanted being put on display. And best of all, both pairs are insanely comfortable.
If you're looking to try the figure-flattering style, I've gathered some other go-to pairs below. All hail the high rise!
3. NYDJ Women's Teresa Trouser Jeans in Premium Denim, $114, Amazon
Also available at Zappos.
A perfect blend of denim and work pants.
4. Lily Parker Women's High Waist Destroyed Ripped Boyfriend Jean, $26, Amazon
Jump on the frayed denim trend with this easy-to-wear mainstay.
5. ASOS DESIGN Farleigh Mom Jeans, $51, ASOS
Yes, meet your new favorite pair of jeans, transitioning seamlessly from school drop-off to happy hour.
6. Levi's Women's 720 High Rise Super Skinny Jeans, $70, Amazon
So simple, so flattering, so goes-with-anything.
7. HALE Women's Valerie High Rise Wide Leg Trouser Jean, $49, Amazon
Booties complete this look, and flats work as well.
8. The High-Rise Skinny Ankle Jean, $68, Everlane
Pair these with a boatneck top or a button-down shirt and pumps.
9. HUE Women's High Waist Lace up Shipwrecked Denim Capri Leggings, $48, Amazon
Wear your top tucked-in to showcase the very cool faux lace-up waist.