Was Kate channeling Princess Diana?
The duchess turned heads on Saturday at the Sun Military Awards in London while decked out in a velvet gown by Alexander McQueen, along with matching diamond bracelet and earrings and a ruby and diamond necklace. The elegant choice was remarkably similar to a style the late princess (then Lady Diana Spencer) wore to a fundraiser at The Royal Opera House in 1981 with her then-fiance Prince Charles.
Diana’s choice – designed by Elizabeth and David Emmanuel, who would also craft her wedding gown – was also made of velvet, and featured a sweetheart neckline and subtle ruffles. (It sold at auction last year for about $300,000, according to the Daily Mail).
One other standout? The sapphire diamond engagement ring, originally worn by Diana, given to Kate from Prince William. While the real baubles are hard to come by, you can get this royal look with the help of Caitlin Moran of Style Within Reach. Check out these stunning, affordable buys:
1. Dress, $34, H&M
2. Triple Chain Necklace, $10.80, Forever21
3. Marvella Silver Floral Stretch Bracelet, $24.99, Target
4. Vanessa Bruno Athe Strapless velvet dress, $92.50, The Outnet
5. Gem Link Necklace, $46, Bauble Bar
6. Cascading Velvet Dress, $109.95, Coldwater Creek