At TODAY we take care to recommend items we hope you’ll enjoy! Just so you know, TODAY may get a small share of the revenue.
Using interviews with specialists, online reviews and personal experience, TODAY editors, writers and experts take care to recommend items we really like and hope you’ll enjoy! TODAY does have affiliate relationships with various online retailers. So, while every product is independently selected, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the revenue.
April showers bring more than May flowers — they also bring a whole host of style challenges.
We've got the answers to all those questions. Lori Bergamotto of Good Housekeeping stopped by with an array of functional fashion for rainy days in April.
Read on for her recommendations for this month and beyond.
Polished and Professional
- 1. Repel Windproof Travel Umbrella, $23, Amazon
Bergamotto said this umbrella is "the gold standard by which all others are judged when it comes to Amazon reviews" — and we'd have to agree. It opens to a 37-inch circumference and collapses into an easily portable size.
- 2. Convertible Rain Trench Coat, $35 (originally $45), MoMA Store
This sophisticated trench coat can be stowed away in its matching tote bag for storage at the office. Bergamotto mentioned that there are plenty of packable rain jackets on the market, but this was the first one with real wow factor.
- 3. Life Stride Puddle Rain Boot, $60 (originally $70), Kohl's
Bergamotto picked these ankle boots in a leopard pattern for a pop of print on an otherwise dreary day.
- 4. Model M. Peridot Tote, $120, Great Bag Co.
This tote bag is perfect for rainy days. "It’s made of a special water-repellant polymer that makes it easy to keep dry and wipe clean," Bergamotto said.
Bright and Cheery
- 1. Blunt Metro Travel Umbrella, $59, Amazon
Navigating crowded streets just got easier with this travel umbrella. Rounded edges mean it's less likely to poke a fellow commuter on the sidewalk.
- 2. Perfect Rain Jacket, $120, J.Crew
It's called the "Perfect" jacket for a reason. Bergamotto pointed out the drawstring waist as a stylish detail that also helps define the jacket's silhouette — a function most rain jackets don't achieve.
- 3. Crocs Freesail Chelsea Rain Boot, $21-$94, Amazon
Bergamotto liked these rain boots from Crocs, because they're lightweight and come in fun patterns.
Fun and Floral
- 1. Totes Classic Canopy Clear Bubble Umbrella, $14, Walmart
When you're wearing a great rain jacket, you won't want to hide it under a shady umbrella. That's where this clear canopy umbrella comes in handy. Because it's clear, it matches literally anything, according to Bergamotto.
- 2. Water-Resistant Hooded Jacket, $50, Old Navy
This windbreaker doubles as a rainy day cover-up! The floral pattern also serves as a reminder of the light at the end of the April showers tunnel.
- 3. Calvin Klein Cole Rubber Boot, $115, Urban Outfitters
"These Western-influenced boots offer a pointy-toe silhouette in a super-smooth rubber with a slight gleam," Bergamotto said.
Flirty and Feminine
- 1. ShedRain Heart-Shaped Umbrella, $30, Target
This heart-shaped umbrella adds to the romantic atmosphere of a spring rain shower.
- 2. River Island Leopard Mackintosh Jacket, $95, Asos
This leopard-print jacket proves functional raincoats can also be stylish, according to Bergamotto.
- 3. Webster Fanny Pack, $75, State Bags
This belt bag is a practical take on one of the year's hottest trends. Plus, it's from one of the most well-respected umbrella brands, so you know it'll keep your cargo dry.
- 4. Jeffrey Campbell Hurricane Rain Booties, $60, Shopbop
Make rainy sidewalks your catwalk in these stacked-heel booties from Jeffrey Campbell.
Sweet and Sporty
- 1. Eez-y Compact Travel Umbrella, $23, Amazon
"Small but mighty, this protective umbrella is totally portable and comes in a dozen fun colors," Bergamotto said.
- 2. McSweeney Anorak, $128, Aritzia
For a trendy take on rain gear, Bergamotto suggested trying a '90s-inspired windbreaker, like this anorak from Aritzia.
- 3. Cougar Kensington Chelsea Boots, $35-$70, Amazon
Dual-density foam insoles and waterproof upper fabric make these boots as comfortable as they are practical.
- 1. Senz: Automatic Umbrella, $50, Amazon
This wind-resistant umbrella is one of the more innovative umbrella designs we've seen in a while. It's meant to be held with the short end in the front and the long end tailing behind you as you walk.
- 2. Helly Hansen Workwear Men's Mandal Waterproof Rain Coat, $45-89, Amazon
"If a 140-year-old company founded by a Scandinavian sea captain doesn’t make you a believer in its keep-you-dry promise, we don’t know what will," Bergamotto said.
- 3. Hush Puppies Bracco Oxfords, $56-$100, Amazon
These suede oxfords are actually water resistant, so you don't have to worry about accidentally stepping in a puddle on your after-work commute.
For more rainy day essentials, check out:
- The 10 best rain boots for women
- We tried an umbrella with over 5,000 reviews
- The 15 best raincoats for women