Get Stuff We Love
What's old is new again!
It might be 2016, but it feels like 1996 when it comes to the hottest fashion trends.
With everything from chokers to slip dresses to velvet clothing making a comeback, it comes as no surprise that our anchors found inspiration for this year's Halloween costumes in one of the most fun decades of all time: the '90s.
From Britney Spears to Regis Philbin and even the Spice Girls, our TODAY anchors and friends certainly got into the '90s Halloween spirit. With Matt Lauer as Jerry Senfield, Al Roker as "Family Matters" own Steve Urkel, Savannah Guthrie as Demi Moore's iconic Vanity Fair cover, Dylan Dryer as Baby Spice, Tamron Hall as Julia Roberts in "Pretty Woman" and Jenna Bush Hager as none other than her grandmother, Barbara Bush, there were lots of throwbacks on the Plaza.
And to help you revive your favorite nostalgic trends, we've rounded up some of must-have items that are suddenly popular again. Whether you want to throw it back to the '90s for your own Halloween costume this year or just be trendy in your everyday life, take a look below and shop your favorites.
And if you've always wanted to relive the days of the Spice Girls (like Dylan and her Baby Spice costume), now's your chance: The pop group's signature platform boots are right on trend for fall. You can even channel your inner rock star with boots that have actual stars on them.
TODAY editors, writers and experts take care to recommend items we really like and hope you’ll enjoy! Just so you know, TODAY does have affiliate relationships. So, while every product is independently selected, if you buy something through our links, we may get a small share of the revenue.
1. Daisy Street Platform Ankle Boots, $68, ASOS
2. Michelle Velvet Platform Boot, $89, Urban Outfitters
3. Platform Boots, $15, H&M
4. EMI Metallic Platform Boots, $76, ASOS
Britney Spears certainly loved a good belly top, or "baby tee" as we used to call them. And when Siri Daly showed up to TODAY dressed as Britney Spears her costume wasn't complete without it.
Years later, these midriff-baring shirts are back. From short chunky sweaters to frilly lace versions, crop tops are very much in style. Wear them with high-waisted pants or a skirt for a sophisticated yet fashion-forward look.
5. Ribbed Knit Crop Top, $13, Forever 21
6. Lysa Lace Crop Top, $24, Tobi
7. Petra Blouse, $68, Free People
8. Short Jersey Top, $25, H&M
9. Floral Satin Wrap Top, $65, Topshop
10. Frayed Crop Top, $36, Zara
Alright so maybe we don't actually call them puffy shirts like they did on "Seinfeld," but Matt is on to something when he revived Jerry Seinfeld's famous shirt for this year's Halloween costume. The ruffled blouse trend is certainly on point for fall.
11. Ruffled Blouse, $50, H&M
12. Sleeveless Poplin Ruffle Shirt, $58, Topshop
13. Frilled Blouse, $40, Zara
Yes, these thin, little spaghetti strap dresses are back. This time around, wear them over your favorite T-shirts, turtlenecks or even sweaters for a cool winter look. Throw on a leather jacket and you'll be looking totally rad.
14. Block Colour Metallic Dress, $40, Zara
15. Spaghetti Strap Dress, $60, Mango
16. Checked Slip Dress, $50, Zara
17. Lisakai Button-Front Floral Slip Dress, $25, Pac Sun
18. Silence + Noise Deep-V Satin Maxi Slip Dress, $89, Urban Outfitters
19. Long Camisole Dress, $70, Zara
20. Dress with Lace, $24, H&M
21. Kendall + Kylie Crepe Slip Dress, $25, Pac Sun
Oh hello, chokers! When it comes to accessories, it's all about these high-neck necklaces this fall. You probably had one of those plastic "tattoo" versions from your local Claire's or Limited Too back in the day, but this edgy trend has certainly grown up.
From lace and leather to beads and more, there are so many different types of chokers to wear now.
22. Libby Stone Choker Necklace, $18, Urban Outfitters
23. Rivoli Bow Choker, $14, Nasty Gal
24. Maddison Wide Fabric Choker Necklace, $18, Urban Outfitters
25. Metal Plate Choker Necklace Rose Gold, $25, Missguided
26. Colby Vegan Suede Choker, $18, Nasty Gal
27. Good Idea Gold and Ivory Layered Choker Necklace, $13, Lulus
28. Feliz Wrap Choker, $11, Nasty Gal
29. Only Love Leather + Stone Choker Necklace, $24, Urban Outfitters
30. Suzywan Deluxe Black Rose Crochet Choker, $28, Nasty Gal
Velvet is certainly having a moment (again)! From tops to dresses to even boots, this fall it really is all about velvet. And the best part about this plush fabric being back in style is that it's super comfortable and snuggly. Shop for some of our must-have items and take a look here for even more.
31. Wrap Cami Top in Velvet, $43, ASOS
32. FRS Brown Velvet Flare Pants, $43, Front Row Shop
33. Velvet Ankle Booties, $40, Forever 21
34. AQUA Crushed Velvet Slip Dress, $68, Bloomingdale's
35. Velvet Top, $40, Zara
36. Wide Hairband, $10, H&M
37. Velvet Carrot Trousers, $50, Zara
38. KRAZY Pointed Boot, $60, Topshop
39. Club L Plus Wrap Front Cape Midi Dress in Velvet, $55, ASOS
Those triple-stripe Adidas shower shoes that you used to rock (just hopefully not with socks) are suddenly cool and fashionable to wear just about anywhere. Seriously! Here are a few of our top picks.
40. Adidas Adilette Ultra Stipes Slide Sandal, $30, DSW
41. Adidas Performance Adilette Gold Sandal, $33, Amazon
Move over stilettos, this season is all about flatforms. Yes, those chunky shoes you used wear back in the day are in style once again. From espadrilles to sneakers, there are so many ways you can sport these shoes in a modern way.
42. Mavis Flatform Lace Up Shoes, $61, ASOS
43. Peter Creper Shellys London, $99, Nordstrom
44. STEVEN by Steve Madden Hilda Platform Sneakers, $69, Macy's
45. Steve Madden Bertie Velvet Low-Top Platform Sneakers, $69, Lord & Taylor
46. ALDO Narcissa Flatform Tassel Loafers, $70, Macy's
47. Pull&Bear Open Toe Zip Up Shoe, $54, ASOS