Carrie Underwood is trading in her front row seat at Fashion Week for a behind-the-scenes role this season. The singer will be showing her Calia by Carrie activewear collection in an instantly shoppable format for those in attendance on Sept. 10. While this down-to-earth presentation differs greatly from typical runway shows (where consumers have to wait months before the clothes are available), we expect nothing less from the style-savvy star. We love how this girl-next-door-turned-household-name has mastered both low-key and high-impact looks over the years. Here are just a few of the lessons we’ve learned from Carrie’s impeccable fashion.
1. Show some leg: Carrie knows how to call attention to her best feature, and flaunts her gams in shorts and mini dresses on a regular basis. Case in point: The body-con Thomas Wylde dress she wore to the 2015 CMT Music Awards on June 10 made the 5-foot-3-inch star look like a supermodel.
2. Embrace color: Never one to shy away from a bold hue, Carrie looked spectacular in a bright blue Temperley London dress on October 27 in NYC. The singer has also stunned in vibrant shades of pink, yellow and red.
3. Dress for the occasion: While most of us will never be on stage in front of thousands of fans, Carrie proves the importance of dressing for the location and crowd. She performed at the Watershed Festival in Washington on August 1 wearing cowboy boots, denim shorts and a tank top — an outfit that would have worked just as well while mingling with the crowd.
4. Stay true to your style while pregnant: Carrie admitted she didn’t like maternity clothes — and missed her svelte figure — during pregnancy, but that didn’t make the star hide in all black. She showed off her baby bump in a dramatic and form-fitting off-white gown at the 2014 American Country Countdown Awards in Nashville.
5. Wrap it up: Carrie loves a good scarf! Whether she’s throwing one on to add to her outfit, or bundling up to stay warm during winter, this cozy look is an off-duty favorite for the star.
6. Play peek-a-boo: Balancing proportions and showing some skin can be tricky style tips to master. Carrie shows us how it’s done in a printed Roberto Cavalli halter gown that features a sexy slit up her thigh and an understated cut-out on her torso at the 2014 CMT Music Awards.
7. Add interest with asymmetry: The star is often seen in one-shoulder dresses, and she took this look to the next level in an asymmetric Rubin Singer chevron-printed cocktail dress at the 12th Annual Samsung Hope For Children Gala. No one would call this look boring!
8. Get glamorous: Though she looks great in cowboy boots and jeans, the blonde bombshell knows how to do it up on the red carpet. Whether she’s stepping out in sequins, beads, lace or a bright red showstopper, Underwood always shines.