From the mod Chelsea boots of the swinging '60s to the chunky, military-inspired styles of the '90s, ankle boots have been a reliable and practical part of our wardrobe for decades now. The true beauty of the ankle boot is its versatility: They work as well with jeans and a T-shirt as they do with dresses and skirts.
Great fall accessories: Stylish shoes, hot handbags, moreSept. 19, 201604:20
Ahead, we've gathered 33 pairs of fall ankle boots that are cool, wearable and worth the investment. Now go get them!
Block heel ankle boots
A pair of black leather ankle boots with a sturdy (not too short, not too tall) block heel might just be the most essential footwear in your closet. We believe every woman should have a pair of these to wear with everything from skinny jeans and sweaters to dresses and leather jackets.
1. H&M ankle boots, $35
2. ASOS leather ankle boots, $77
3. River Island patent ankle boots, $80
4. Topshop heeled ankle boots, $65
5. Sole Society ankle boots, $55 (originally $109)
6. ASOS leather heel sock boots, $88
7. H&M ankle boots, $50
Suede ankle boots
Suede has more of a casual feel than leather, even in black. Whether you choose a cowboy-inspired bootie or a more urban silhouette, these ankle boots are ideal for weekend wear.
8. Zara elastic split ankle boots, $90
9. ASOS suedette ankle boots, $41
10. H&M ankle boots, $35
11. Plume By FarylRobin suede tassel boots, $60
12. BCBGeneration suede ankle boots, $98
13. Arturo Chiang ankle boots, $99
14. Sole Society western ankle boots, $90
15. H&M lace-up suede ankle boots, $50
16. Sbicca buckle strap ankle boots, $90
Inspired by the boots worn by dapper men in the 1960s (most notably: The Beatles!), the Chelsea boot is back. These classic boots look modern when worn with patterned tights and a flow-y dress.
17. Zara stretch leather ankle boots, $90
18. Topshop Chelsea boots, $70
19. H&M Chelsea boots, $35
20. ASOS Chelsea boots, $62
21. Faith leather Chelsea boots, $73
22. H&M suede Chelsea boots, $35
23. River Island Chelsea boots, $62
Fun colors and fabrics
If your wardrobe already has the basics covered, why not branch out a little? Velvet is one of the trendiest fabrics of the season, but you’ll also find metallic hues, embroidered boots, patent leather textures and even python prints. Wear these not-so-basic booties with your favorite jeans for an unexpectedly rock 'n' roll vibe.
24. Steve Madden velvet ankle boots, $90
25. Journee Collection faux suede lace up boots, $50
26. River Island glitter block heel ankle boots, $80
27. Sole Society heeled ankle boots, $99
28. New Look front zip ankle boots, $49
29. ASOS metallic ankle boots, $52
30. ASOS snake print ankle boots, $62
31. Topshop embroidered boots, $70
32. Public Desire patent ankle boots, $57
33. River Island leopard print velvet ankle boots, $80