Get Stuff We Love
Calling all couples: It's time to start planning your coordinating Halloween costumes. Even if you're not partnered up at the moment, there's no reason you can't go "halvsies" on an amazing, two-person costume.
Whether you're into '90s throwbacks ("Dumb and Dumber," "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air"), current pop culture references ("Stranger Things," "Game of Thrones") or just classic pairings like a magician and a rabbit in a hat — we've got tons of inspiring Halloween couples costume ideas just for you (and your costume partner, of course).
1. The Spartan Cheerleaders from "Saturday Night Live"
Will Ferrell and Cheri Oteri as the Spartan cheerleaders has to be one of the all-time most iconic "SNL" skits, and we happen to think that Tamron Hall and Willie Geist pulled off the look pretty well on TODAY in 2014. For inspiration, watch this clip.
2. Khal Drogo and Khaleesi from "Game of Thrones"
It seems like this couple already had some of the natural looks to pull of this costume, but with some creative makeup, wigs and perhaps some dragon figurines, anyone can do it!
3. Bob Ross and a "happy little tree"
Anyone who grew up in the '90s will remember this quirky painter and his PBS show. This costume would make a great throwback costume for couples or friends who really want to get into character.
4. Chuck Noland and Wilson from "Castaway"
This costume is especially clever if your Wilson happens to be pregnant.
- Volleyball face T-shirt: $8 on Amazon
5. Wendy Peffercorn and Ham Porter from "The Sandlot"
Another classic '90s kids movie, "The Sandlot" makes for a fun but somewhat obscure couples costume. People who get the reference will be coming up to you all night. If you're a real couple, you might want to go with "Squints" instead.
- Retro one-piece swimsuit: $26 on Amazon
- White cat-eye sunglasses: $10 on Amazon
- Lifeguard whistle: $7 on Amazon
- Orange T-shirt: $13 on Amazon
- Baseball cap: $9 on Amazon
- Baseball bat: $23 on Amazon
6. Michael Phelps and his wife, Nicole (with baby Boomer, of course)
If you've still got Olympic fever, consider dressing up as American swimmer Michael Phelps and his wife, but just make sure you get a fake baby or two (unless you have one, then you're golden!) and those noise-canceling headphones for infants.
- Swim cap: $12 on Amazon
- Gold medals: $15 on Amazon
- American flag on a stick: $6 on Amazon
- Women's blue and white top: $15 on Amazon
- Doll: $13 on Amazon
- Infant USA outfit: $7 on Amazon
7. Joyce and the wall from "Stranger Things"
We have no doubt that "Stranger Things" costumes will be some of the most popular of this season, but we happen to think this clever take on Winona Ryder's character, Joyce, and the wall that she uses to communicate with her son, Charlie, is especially clever.
- Green jacket: $22 on Amazon
- Brown striped T-shirt: $12 on Amazon
- Fake axe: $16 on Amazon
- Alphabet lights sweater: $40 on Amazon
8. Nicki Minaj and Beyonce
A Halloween costume that's perfect for when you're totally "feeling yourself."
- Pink faux fur jacket: $22 on Amazon
- Bulls swimsuit: $8 on Amazon
- White one-piece swimsuit: $20 on Amazon
- Fabric markers (to design the white swimsuit): $9 on Amazon
9. Pikachu and Ash from Pokemon
With the unending popularity of the Pokemon Go game, this costume is sure to be a hit.
- Women's Pikachu costume: $28 on Amazon
- Pikachu ears and tail: $13 on Amazon
- Ash costume: $28 on Amazon
- Plush Pokeball: $4 on Amazon
10. Johnny Cash and June Carter
We love this easy costume that's a throwback to the original king and queen of country music. (Watch "Walk the Line" if you need a refresher.)
- Blue dress: $20 on Amazon
- Men's black button-down shirt: $18 on Amazon
- Men's Greaser wig: $15 on Amazon
11. Marty and Bobbi Culp from "Saturday Night Live"
This costume is another classic "SNL" throwback. We love how silly and creative this couple got with their outfits, including a keyboard, microphones and even a perfectly appropriate wig.
- Fake beard: $18 on Amazon
- Curly wig: $17 on Amazon
- Blue dress: $25 on Amazon
- Glasses: $9 on Amazon
- Microphone: $4 on Amazon
- Inflatable keyboard: $17 on Amazon
12. Doug Funnie and Patti Mayonnaise
Cartoon characters can be tough to recreate in real life, but because of their iconic outfits, pulling off the Doug and Patti combination isn't too difficult.
- Green sweater vest: $20 on Amazon
- White button down shirt: $10 on Amazon
- Men's cargo shorts: $14 on Amazon
- Light blue shirt: $13 on Amazon
- Iron on fabric adhesive (to attach polka dots): $8 on Amazon
- Pink fabric (to make the polka dots): $8 on Amazon
- Blue skirt: $6 on Amazon
13. Operation board game and a doctor
How cute is this? We love this playful interpretation of the classic childhood game Operation. (You can find the DIY for this costume here.)
14. Will and Carlton from "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air"
There's no way you won't be singing "It's not unusual to be loved by anyone ... " by the end of the night. Be sure to brush up on your dance moves prior to Halloween and, of course, make sure you know all the lyrics to the theme song of "The Fresh Prince of Bel Air." You will definitely be quizzed.
- "Fresh Prince of Bel Air" costume: $22 on Amazon
- Patterned pants: $12 on Amazon
- Sweater vest: $25 on Amazon
15. Harry and Lloyd from "Dumb and Dumber"
You're bound to have the most fun night ever in these orange and blue suits from the 1994 comedy staring Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels.
- "Dumb and Dumber" tuxedos (bundle set): $128 on Amazon
16. Daria and Jane from "Daria"
- Red blazer: $7 on Amazon
- Black T-shirt: $4 on Amazon
- Gray pants: $5 on Amazon
- Black wig: $17 on Amazon
- Green jacket: $10 on Amazon
- Orange T-shirt: $3 on Amazon
- Brown wig: $16 on Amazon
- Black glasses: $10 on Amazon
17. A rabbit and a magician
For a stylish couple who wants a last minute and easy-to-DIY costume, consider the classic rabbit and magician. A suit and top hat will do the trick for the magician, while an all-white ensemble and a pair of ears works for the bunny. Bonus points for a wand! (See the full DIY here.)
18. Richie and Margot from "The Royal Tenenbaums"
This is a great costume for the sophisticated couple (or a couple of friends) who want to channel one of Wes Anderson's most iconic movies. The costumes are relatively easy to re-create — just hit up your local thrift store or Amazon.
- Faux fur coat: $46 on Amazon
- Blonde wig: $18 on Amazon
- Tan suit: $40 on Amazon
- White sweat band: $6 on Amazon
19. John Lennon and Yoko Ono
Dressing as John and Yoko is one of the easiest costumes you can throw together at the last minute. Both of you should wear all white and find pairs of round sunglasses at your local costume shop or even the drugstore. Yoko needs a wide-brim floppy hat and be sure to flash the peace sign for photos.
- White round sunglasses: $10 on Amazon
- Clear round sunglasses: $13 on Amazon
- White floppy hat: $14 on Amazon
20. Doc and Marty McFly from "Back to the Future"
One of the most fun parts of this costume is that both can be worn by either a guy or girl. Plus, many of the items you need to create it (especially for Marty) can be found either in your closet or at an affordable clothing store like Old Navy or Walmart.
Still need more Halloween ideas? Check our our last-minute Halloween costume guide, this year's top Halloween costumes for kids and babies, our favorite spooky decor and the best places to buy candy in bulk online.
This story was originally published Sept. 27, 2016.