Get the latest from TODAY
Calling all Romeo Santos fans! TODAY is excited to announce that The King of Bachata will perform live on the TODAY Plaza on April 27 to kick off our weeklong Viva TODAY series.
Register for the TODAY Concert Series newsletter to request a Fan Pass. Visit TODAY.com to sign up for the TODAY Concert Series newsletter.
Santos is a mega-star in the world of music. But depending on your preferred genres and how and where you get your music, it's possible that you haven't even heard of the multi-platinum artist — yet.
That's because Latin music fans have had Santos all to themselves for some time. But now he's gaining major crossover fame, and this month, he'll be hitting the TODAY Plaza to share his music with our audience.
Ahead of his performance, we've got a list of seven things you should know about Santos.
1. He's kind of a big deal on the charts Really. Billboard ranked Santos the top Latin music artist of 2014 for good reason. After all, he nabbed three of the top five spots on the "Hot Latin Songs" list, he had the top selling Latin album of the year (with "Formula, Vol. 2"), and he topped all other Latin music contenders when it came to radio play, song streaming and more. This year he broke a record for Latin Billboard nominations, earning a whopping 21.
2. He's YouTube royalty Santos' music video for his 2013 hit "Propuesta Indecente" has over half a billion hits on YouTube. Yes, billion-with-a-B. The counter is currently at 647,395,459 and gaining. To put that number in perspective, that means "Propuesta Indecente" is ahead of Pharrell Williams' "Happy," Adele's "Rolling in the Deep," Katy Perry's "Firework," and Lady Gaga's video for "Bad Romance" — by millions of views.
3. He's a Bronx native who's sold out Yankee Stadium Santos was born in the Bronx in 1981, and in 2014, he found himself living the dream of any New York native with big musical ambitions: He performed to sold-out crowds at Yankee Stadium — twice!
4. He'll soon fill even more arenas Santos' continuing tour has been such a smash, he's added a new leg of arena dates that will see him go coast to coast from May to July. Check out the full list of dates to see if he's headed to your town.
5. He's got friends in the biz With a soaring career in Latin music, it's no surprise that Santos has plenty of friends in the business. But make no mistake, his pals are from every genre. On his album, "Formula, Vol. 2," he worked with Drake, Nicki Minaj, Marc Anthony, Carlos Santana and more.
Here he is hanging out with Willie Nelson and John Fogerty backstage at last year's "In Performance at the White House."
6. On a more personal note, he's not afraid of clowns But you might be after you see the Halloween lover's costume from last year.
7. Oh, and he's also a box-office star We can't think of a better way to round out a list of seven fun facts than to point out that Santos is currently enjoying big-screen success with his acting debut in the blockbuster "Furious 7."
We can't wait to see what he does next!
Follow Ree Hines on Google+.