We are days away from Christmas, and if you haven’t even started working on decking the halls, shopping for gifts or prepping for a holiday party, you might be hoping that clock slows down — but there’s no need.
To decorate: DIY no-sew holiday throw pillows
- Gold glitter
- Iron-on paper
- X-Acto knife
- White throw pillow cover
- White throw pillow insert
- Dish towel
- “Merry & Bright” template
- “Let It Snow” template
- White paint
- Download and print out the templates. Layer the template with the glitter paper, template face-up on the bottom, then the glitter paper above, matte-side on top. Tape the papers together.
- Hold the papers up to the window and trace the outline of the letters onto the glitter paper with the paint marker.
- Remove the template from the glitter paper. Use the X-Acto knife to cut out each letter shape, being careful to just cut through on layer of the glitter paper (and leaving the clear backing intact). Peel off any glitter paper that is not part of the words.
- Turn the glitter paper over and center on the pillow case. Cover paper with a dish towel and iron the paper onto the cloth, making sure the steam heat is turned off on the iron. Let cool slightly, then gently peel off the clear backing. Stuff with pillow insert and enjoy your new holiday pillow!
To gift: DIY gilded agate coasters
- Agate slices
- Gold leaf
- Adhesive pen
- Sealant (optional)
- Small paintbrush
- Clear rubber bumpers (optional)
- Masking tape
- Use the adhesive pen to cover the edges of the agate slice with adhesive. Place a bit of tape on the slice to mark where you start gluing, so you'll know when to stop when you come back around to the beginning.
- Place the agate on a bit of cardboard or tin foil to dry for about 10 minutes.
- When the edges of the agate are slightly tacky to the touch, gently press on gold leaf. Keep pressing on more leaf until the rim is covered in gold.
- Use the dry paintbrush to gently brush off the excess gold leaf.
- For more protection, you can paint a thin coat of sealant on the edges to seal them. You can also attach four self-stick rubber bumpers to the bottom of each coaster to protect your surfaces.
To eat: Brown Santa hats
- 1 pan store-bought brownies
- 1-2 pounds small-to-medium-size strawberries
- 2 cans store-bought cheesecake frosting
- Piping bag
- Large round frosting tip
- 1-inch circle cookie cutter
- Wash the strawberries and chop off the leaves.
- Cut out circles of brownie with the cutter, as many as you can get out of the pan.
- Put the frosting tip in the piping bag, then fill with cheesecake frosting. Gently swirl a layer of frosting on each brownie circle.
- Top each brownie with a strawberry (pointy end up), then add a dot of frosting to the tip of each strawberry.