Get the latest from TODAY
Each month, TODAY nutritionist Joy Bauer welcomes two new members into the Joy Fit Club. It's an exclusive group of determined, hard-working people who have shed 100 pounds or more — all through diet and exercise.
We inducted a remarkable group of members this year, who shed a combined 3,300 pounds! Review their tips: They may help you meet your own weight-loss goal in 2016.
1. Find a great support system. Whether it's a spouse, co-workers or friends, surround yourself with people who are going to motivate you to get healthy, and keep you accountable.
2. Don't expect the transformation to be quick. You didn't gain the weight overnight, so don't expect to drop all the weight overnight either.
3. Keep track of your food intake. Start a food journal where you track all the meals and snacks you have each day. Make sure to include the calories for each meal so you can see where to cut back.
4. Get rid of the people holding you back. Not everyone who is in your life needs to stay in your life. If there are people who aren't supporting you in your journey, you may need to move on from those relationships.
5. Set a realistic goal, and go after it! Look ahead to milestones in your future and set realistic weight-loss goals for those dates. (Maybe a birthday, anniversary, graduation or other special event is coming up.)
6. Create a vision board. Designate a wall, refrigerator or bulletin board where you post photos, inspirational quotes and words that describe how you want to look and feel. Make sure it's in a place you'll see every day.
7. Share your journey with others to help inspire them too. Whether it's on social media or a blog, don't shy away from sharing your journey to a healthier lifestyle in a public platform. (One Joy Fit Club member, Gina Canakis, started a blog to help motivate others.)
8. Don't despise small beginnings. You don't have to be a marathon runner in the first week. It's perfectly acceptable to start exercising 10-15 minutes a day and gradually work your way toward a more intense exercise routine.
You're going to do great! The best is yet to come.
Follow TODAY Hope Dealer Kyle Michael Miller on Twitter.