This fresh vegetable soup gets a hearty protein boost from crispy breaded chicken cutlets. The meaty bites add great flavor and texture to this easy weeknight dinner.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, cubed
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 carrot, peeled and cubed
- 3 stalks celery, cubed
- 1 Idaho potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 zucchini, cubed
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3½ cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 ounces (about 2 cutlets) sautéed chicken Milanese
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese, to taste
1. In a large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, celery, potato, zucchini, tomato and stock and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, add bay leaf and then simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, remove bay leaf and add diced chicken. Serve in bowls topped with Parmesan cheese.