This lightened up (yet totally satisfying) pasta bolognese calls for extra-lean ground beef instead of fattier meat and is served over a bed of spiralized zucchini noodles (zoodles) instead of pasta.
- 2 pounds spiralized zucchini (about 4 medium zucchini)
- 1¾ cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 8 ounces raw extra-lean ground beef (4% fat or less)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Optional topping: grated Parmesan cheese
Bring an extra-large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir zucchini until hot and slightly softened, about 3 minutes.2.
Transfer zucchini to a strainer, and thoroughly drain excess liquid.3.
In a medium-large bowl, combine crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Add 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder, and mix well.4.
Drizzle oil in the skillet, and return to medium-high heat. Add celery, onion, and carrots. Cook and stir until slightly softened, about 2 minutes.5.
Reduce heat to medium. Add beef, and season with salt, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder and onion powder. Cook, stir, and crumble until veggies have softened and beef is fully cooked, about 5 minutes.6.
Add tomato mixture to the skillet. Cook and stir until hot and well mixed, about 1 minute.7.
Add drained zucchini, and cook and stir until hot and well mixed, about 2 minutes.
Reprinted with permission from Hungry Girl Clean and Hungry OBSESSED!