Casey Barber / Casey Barber
- 3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
- 2 teaspoons olive oil + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt + 1 tablespoon salt, divided
- 1/2 pound ziti or other tubular pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper.
- Bring a 6-quart pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- While the pasta water is heating, toss the cauliflower with 2 teaspoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for 15-20 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender and browning at the tips and edges.
- When the pasta water comes to a boil, add 1 tablespoon salt to the water. When it dissolves, stir in the ziti.
- While the ziti cooks, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and cook for 3-5 minutes, just until the tomatoes are starting to soften.
- When the ziti is al dente, add it to the tomatoes along with 1/4 cup of the pasta cooking water, lemon juice, and roasted cauliflower. Stir and let the pasta cook for 30 seconds more to absorb the sauce.
- Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and top each with a sprinkle of lemon zest. Serve immediately.