Shredded carrots and peas add even more veggie goodness to tomato sauce. The extra veggies also give it fresh flavor and terrific texture.
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- One 15-ounce jar tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
1. Blend together shredded carrot and tomato sauce. Set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, sauté onions and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until soft and translucent.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, a third at a time, to saucepan and stir.
4. Add tomato sauce/carrot mixture and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring often.
5. Five minutes before serving, stir in peas and remove from heat.
6. Serve over your favorite legume pasta.