Who doesn't love french fries? Za’atar gives them an interesting appeal; they almost don’t need a dipping sauce. Don't you dare use ketchup on these!
Technique Tip: You can bake these in the oven at 350°F for 25-30 minutes, then re-crisp in the oven the next day. Leftover fries can also be chopped and added to an omelet or used to make a hash.
Swap Option: You can use sweet potatoes in place of white potatoes.
- 2 pounds Idaho potatoes
- 4 quarts canola oil
- 2 tablespoons za'atar
- 2 tablespoons salt
1. Cut the potatoes into 1/4- by 1/4-inch sticks and soak in large bowl of water for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Preheat oil in deep cast iron or enamel pot to 300°F.
3. Carefully drop a handful of fries into the oil and gently stir for 7 minutes.
4. Remove potatoes from oil with a slotted spoon to drain on paper town and cool completely.
5. Increase the heat and bring oil to 350°F. Fry the potatoes again until golden brown, 5-7 minutes.
6. Remove Fries into a bowl lined with paper towel. Remove paper towel and toss fries with za'atar and salt.