This is go-to comfort food but it has other charms. Sure, the roast is perfect as it is, but there is an epic sandwich just waiting to be built from the leftovers. Cut a crusty French bread loaf lengthwise down the center. Pile the roast on the bottom piece, cover with sliced provolone cheese, and broil until the cheese melts. Spread horseradish mayo on the top a piece of bread, and cover the sandwich. And enjoy!
- 1 4 pound boneless chuck roast
- 2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 6 ounce envelope zesty Italian salad dressing and seasoning mix
- One 16 ounce jar pepperoncini peppers, undrained
- 4 ounces salted butter, softened (optional)
- Sprinkle of thyme, if desired
1. Pat the roast dry with paper towels; sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high; add the roast and cook until browned, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Place the roast in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
2. Sprinkle the seasoning mix over the roast. Pour the pepperoncini peppers and liquid over the roast. Top with the butter, if desired.
3. Cover and cook on low until roast is very tender, about 8 hours, or on high, about 5 hours.
4. Remove the roast from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Serve with roasted root vegetables. Garnish with thyme, if desired.