It's amazing how easy it is to make homemade pizza dough. It only takes four ingredients and it's almost impossible to mess it up. To make the classic original Italian margherita pie, you just top the dough with a few good ingredients, cook for two minutes and dig in!
Technique tip: Don't skimp on the resting time for the dough; make sure you let it cool for at least 24 hours.
Homemade Dough Homemade Dough (makes eight 8-ounce balls)
- One 2.2-pound bag Caputo "00" flour
- 2¼ cups water
- 5 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh yeast
- 1 ball homemade pizza dough (recipe above)
- 1 ounce tomato sauce, preferably Ciao
- 1 ounce fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/8 cup basil leaves, torn
- Sicilian olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 ounce grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 ounce grated pecorino cheese
For the homemade dough:
1. Melt yeast into water in mixing bowl, add flour and begin mixing at the lowest speed for 15 minutes. Slowly add in the salt.
2. Put on a counter and wrap in plastic to rest for 1 hour.
3. Cut into dough balls (22 ounces each) and place in a tray. Put balls in a cooler to rest for use the next day, 24 hours recommended.
For the pizza:
1. Stretch dough into a circle and place on a pizza peel.
2. Spread sauce on the dough and place fresh mozzarella on top.
3. Place dough into wood-fired oven (or a counter-top pizza oven). Cook for 90-120 seconds spinning throughout until golden and delicious on all sides.
4. Slice and then top with basil, Sicilian olive oil, Parmigiano-Reggiano and pecorino and serve!