Elise Strachan, the creator and host of the popular online baking show My Cupcake Addiction, shares her sweetest, spookiest recipes. This bubbling Halloween party punch takes no toil or trouble to make.
- 1 box (3 ounces) lime Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 cups cold water
- 4 cups pineapple juice, chilled
- Large watertight cauldron
- Dry ice (available at ice supply stores)
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Green food coloring
- 1 liter lemon-lime soda (such as Sprite)
1. In a heatproof bowl, dissolve the Jell-O in the boiling water and stir until there are no crystals. Add the cold water to cool the mixture. Add the pineapple juice and refrigerate until ready to serve.2. Just before serving, place a large punch bowl (at least 4-quart capacity) into the empty cauldron.3. Place chunks of dry ice in the base of the cauldron, not in the punch bowl. Handle with gloves, as dry ice will burn the skin. Dry ice should not be consumed.4. Pour the refrigerated mixture into the punch bowl, and place 6 large scoops of vanilla ice cream on top. Add a few drops of food coloring to the bottle of soda, then pour into the punch bowl a little at a time until the bowl reaches capacity.5. Finally, add hot water to the base of the cauldron (in between the punch bowl and cauldron) and watch it smoke, boil and bubble.