- 1 package turkey smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup large red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 cup chopped greens such as turnip greens or fresh kale
- 2 cup frozen whole kernel yellow corn
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed, drained
- 8 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
Cut sausage into 1/4-inch slices.
Melt butter in 5-6 quart pan or stockpot over medium-high heat.
Cook sausage, shallots and red bell pepper, stirring occasionally until sausage is lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
2. Add turnip greens and cook, stirring gently until greens wilt, about 3 minutes.
Stir in corn, beans, vegetable broth and cayenne pepper.
Bring to a boil.
3. Stir in orzo pasta.
Return soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 30 minutes.
Nutrition per serving: Serving size: About 1 1/3 cups each.
Calories: 220. Fat: 6 g.
Saturated fat: 1.5 g.
Cholesterol: 20 mg.
Carbohydrates: 32 g.
Fiber: 6 g.
Sodium: 650 mg.
Protein: 12 g.