This healthy pasta is bursting with fresh veggies and lean protein. It will satisfy your carb cravings, provide a variety of vitamins and nutrients ... and it will fill you up without weighing you down.
Swap option: Add even more veggie power! After adding the olive oil to your skillet, throw in some chopped leaks or stir a handful of arugula into the pasta before serving.
Nutrition facts: 515 calories, 19 grams fat (3 grams saturated), 39 grams protein, 56 grams carbohydrates, 10 grams sugar, 10 grams fiber, 798 milligrams sodium per serving
- 4 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta (about 2/3 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups cubed eggplant
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups cubed zucchini
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 ounces cooked chicken breast, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh or dried basil
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente, reserve 2/3 cup of the pasta cooking water, then drain.
2. While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the eggplant and 4 pinches of salt. Cook, stirring, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the zucchini and 4 pinches of salt. Cook, stirring, until golden, 6 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the tomatoes soften, 2 minutes.
3. Add the chicken, reserved pasta water and pasta. Cook over high heat, stirring, for 3 minutes. Season with pepper and 4 pinches of salt. Garnish with basil.