This is the Philly cheesesteak! Geno's Steaks has been cooking up the city's signature dish since 1966. Now you can enjoy a taste of Philadelphia without leaving home.
Technique tip: Leave the meat on the grill until the sides start to sizzle and curl up. That's when you want to put your spatula underneath to flip it. Cook the onions until they caramelize and turn translucent, this will ensure that they're soft but still have a bite.
Swap option: Swap cheese whiz for American or provolone.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup sliced white or Vidalia onion
- Store-bought cheese sauce, preferably Cheez Whiz
- 1 soft Italian roll
- 7 ounces thinly sliced rib-eye meat
1. In sauté pan over medium-low heat, add a splash of olive oil and one spritz of nonstick cooking spray. Add in the onions and reduce heat to low. Let them cook, stirring occasionally, until they're caramelized about 20 minutes.
2. While the onions are cooking, warm the cheese sauce in a small saucepan over low heat.
3. Remove onions from the pan and set aside. Increase the heat to medium-high and place the thinly sliced rib-eye in the pan. Cook for about 90 seconds each side.
4. Take the Italian roll and cut it in half lengthwise. Smear the cheese sauce on one side of the roll and add the onions. Place the cooked steak on the roll and serve.