Dulce de leche and sea salt give this dreamy white hot chocolate an extra punch of flavor.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cups heavy cream
- 12 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- 8 ounces dulce de leche
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked sea salt (reserve a bit for garnish)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup crème fraiche for garnish
- White chocolate shavings for garnish
Bring milk and cream to a simmer in a saucepan. Place chopped white chocolate and dulce de leche in a bowl. Place this over a pan of bowling water (double boiler-style), whisking until chocolate has melted. Add smoked salt and vanilla to white chocolate dulce de leche, reserving a bit of smoked salt for garnish. Slowly pour the milk and cream into the white chocolate dulce de leche mixture while continuing to stir. Serve in four large mugs. Whip crème fraiche with a tablespoon of warm water until fluffy. Garnish mugs with crème fraiche and white chocolate shavings. Finish with the reserved bit of smoked salt.