This is a great, super refreshing option for a family friendly party. Nothing says summer like a delicious watermelon!
Swap option: For an alcoholic version add 2 cups of white rum before chilling. Add club soda or sparkling water in place of ginger ale.
- 3¼ pounds seedless watermelon, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/4 teaspoon aromatic bitters
- 4 to 5 cups ginger ale, chilled
- Mint sprigs
1. In a blender container, place watermelon; puree until smooth.
2. In a small heatproof bowl, use a wooden spoon to mash mint leaves and 1/4 cup of the sugar; add 1/4 cup of the water. Microwave on high until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mint leaves to blender, leaving sugar in bowl. Blend until chopped.
3. To bowl of sugar mixture add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water. Microwave until sugar dissolves into a syrup, 1 to 2 minutes. Cover and chill.
4. To serve, strain watermelon mixture into an ice-filled pitcher or jar. Stir in syrup, lime juice and bitters. Divide watermelon mixture among ice-filled glasses, top with ginger ale and garnish with mint sprigs.