I grew up eating and cooking Mediterranean food so the flavors remind me of home — and this recipe is bursting with flavor!
Technique tip: If you don't like the pungency of raw onions, place sliced onions in a small bowl and cover with red wine vinegar for a few minutes. This will take the sharp bite out of the onion.
- 2 cups seedless cucumbers, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 16 Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1¼ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons shallots, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
Combine all salad ingredients in a medium bowl. Cover and chill.
For the vinaigrette:
Combine all vinaigrette ingredients but oil in a small bowl. In a slow, steady stream whisk in oil until all is incorporated.
Prior to serving, toss salad with 1/4 cup vinaigrette to coat. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve salad well chilled.