- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 yellow onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the buns
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut or broken into florets
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed, or 1½ cups cooked cannellini beans
- 6 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 hamburger potato buns
- bread and butter pickles, for serving
- potato chips, for serving (optional)
I love this recipe because it's so flavorful and hearty. This is a home run for people who are worried about walking away from the table unsatisfied. It's great for large groups and serves up well, year-round.
Technique tip: Try to evenly chop the onion and bell pepper in the food processor so they cook in the same amount of time.
Swap option: Swap in chickpeas or kidney beans if you prefer over cannellini.
In a food processor, finely chop the garlic. Add the onion and bell pepper chunks and pulse several times until evenly (but not too finely) chopped.2.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and cook, stirring often, for 6 to 7 minutes, until tender.3.
Meanwhile, place the cauliflower florets in the food processor. Pulse several times until chopped into very small, but not fine, pieces. You'll need 4 cups of chopped cauliflower.4.
Add the cauliflower to the skillet and cook, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes, until crisp-tender. Stir in the beans.5.
In a small bowl, stir together the tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, chile powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the water. Stir into the cauliflower mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until heated through.6.
To heat the hamburger buns, in a large skillet, heat a thin layer of oil. Place the buns cut-side down in the skillet. Cook for about 1 minute, or until the undersides are golden-brown.7.
Dividing evenly, spoon the mixture among the hamburger buns and top with pickles. Serve with potato chips, if using.