This vegan-friendly pizza is a perfect weeknight fix and is quite the crowd-pleaser. It's an easy base to add to as well, in case you're one of those people who eat pineapple on pizza and want to see how it goes with veggie meatballs.
Technique tip: For the "mozzarella" sauce, if you are not using a high-powered blender, such as a Vitamix, soak cashews overnight or boil for 10 minutes and drain. This will soften them and ensure a silky smooth cream. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to four days or frozen for up to one month and thawed before using.
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup mozarella sauce
- 1 cup Vegetarian Meatballs
- Optional toppings: Caramelized onions, fresh basil, sliced tomato, crushed red pepper
- 1½ cup raw cashews
- 1 cup
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly brush a large baking sheet (approximately 9- x 13-inch) with olive oil.
2. Sprinkle the bottom of the baking sheet with cornmeal. On a lightly floured surface, roll or stretch the dough into a large rectangle. Fit it into the baking sheet and brush with olive oil. Spread enough tomato sauce to generously cover the dough, leaving about a ¾-inch border. Top with meatballs and any optional toppings. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until edges are golden.
3. For the "mozzarella" sauce, in a high powered blender, combine cashews and water. Blend on high until very smooth, about 2 minutes. Add lemon juice, salt, garlic, onion powder, and cornstarch and blend until smooth.
4. Remove pizza from oven, lightly drizzle with Mozzarella Sauce, then bake for 1 minute more. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before slicing. If desired, season with crushed red pepper before eating.