This creamy pudding is one of my favorite desserts to make in the fall. The warm spices complement the sweet pumpkin perfectly.
- 4 cups whole milk
- One 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (about 1½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 10 ginger snap cookies
1. In a medium saucepan, combine three cups of the milk, the pumpkin puree, cinnamon, allspice, cloves and ginger. Whisk to combine and then set over medium-low heat and bring to a gentle simmer.
2. Whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the egg yolks and the remaining 1 cup milk.
3. Whisk half of the hot milk-pumpkin mixture into the egg mixture until smooth, then gradually whisk the egg-milk-pumpkin mixture back into the saucepan. Continue to cook, now over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture boils. Continue to cook, whisking constantly, until it has thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and butter.
4. To assemble, layer the cookies and pudding mixture in a serving dish or parfait glasses. Cover the pudding with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold (at least 2 hours).