The unique taste of this traditional Italian salad is defined by the variety of bitter greens. It pairs just as well with a light fish dish as it does with rich meats. It's versatile, simple to prepare and one of my favorite meal starters.
- 4 to 6 cups bitter salad greens including chicory, escarole, endive and frisée, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 head radicchio, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup fresh herbs such as parsley leaves, fennel fronds and basil
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 pinch kosher salt
1. Add the greens, radicchio, herbs and radishes to a large bowl. Gently toss together.
2. Add the shallot, olive oil, vinegar and salt to a small cruet. Shake to emulsify.
3. Pour the dressing around the edge of the bowl and gently toss the greens so the dressing adheres to the greens.