This recipe proves that you don't have to spend hours stirring over a hot stove to make an amazing tomato sauce. This bright, fresh sauce comes together with just four ingredients in about five minutes.
Swap option: Add in any flavor booster you like, such as sliced olives, capers, roasted eggplant, chili flakes, mozzarella balls or crumbled feta.
- 1½ pounds ripe heirloom tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup good-quality olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup sliced basil
1. Put the chopped tomatoes in a large bowl.
2. Put the olive oil and garlic in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the garlic is translucent and not quite brown. Then pour the garlic oil over the tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste and mix in the basil.
3. Serve over pasta, baked fish or on crostini.