I love this recipe because it's an update on a classic. Slightly spicier and with more crunchy vegetables to make you feel good about your choices on Thanksgiving, but easy enough for any weeknight.
Technique tip: Lightly steam the vegetables in the microwave for a few minutes first so they don't go into the oven frozen.
Swap option: Use any frozen vegetable your heart desires.
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10½-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (16-ounce) bag frozen haricots verts, lightly steamed
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen mixed mushrooms, lightly steamed and drained
- 1⅓ cups fried onions, divided, preferably French's, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix the milk, sour cream, crushed red pepper, black pepper and soup in a 1½-quart casserole dish. Carefully stir in green beans, mushrooms and 2/3 cup of the fried onions, combining thoroughly.
3. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Stir filling, then top with the remaining 2/3 cup fried onions. Return to oven to bake for 5-10 more minutes, until topping is golden-brown.