Udon noodles with spring vegetables
- 5 ounces udon noodles
- 3 ounces spring vegetables (fresh shelled English peas, sugar snap peas and radishes)
- 1 ounce diced apples
- 1 ounce cucumber batons
- 1/2 ounce watercress
- 3 ounces black bean dressing (recipe below)
- Lemon juice to taste
Black bean soy dressing
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fermented black beans
- 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- Juice from one lemon
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoons sugar
For the udon noodles:
- Heat a pot of salted water to boiling. Prepare an ice bath. Blanch the asparagus for 1 minute until bright green and tender. Transfer to ice bath with a mesh strainer. Repeat with English peas and sugar snap peas (sugar snap peas may take 1 ½ minutes).
- Blanch noodles until tender, 3 minutes.
- Transfer the vegetables into a mixing bowl, add remaining ingredients. Toss, adjust seasoning. Serve immediately
For black bean soy dressing:
- Put first seven ingredients into a pot, bring to boil and simmer over super low heat for 1 hour. Transfer and cool.
- Mix together the black bean oil with the remaining ingredients until well incorporated. Stir before using.