- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 4 cloves garlic
- 28 ounces canned whole peeled tomatoes, roughly chopped, half the juice from the can reserved
- Fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped rosemary
- 4 cups cooked cannellini beans, or 2 1/2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup bean cooking liquid or water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Italian sausage
This simple white bean stew is so quick and easy, you'll be out of kitchen and at the dinner table in no time.
In a cold, large high-sided skillet, combine the olive oil and garlic, then turn the heat to high. As soon as the garlic shows the slightest tinge of brown, about 2 minutes in, stir in the tomatoes and the reserved juice. Add a pinch of salt and cook for 5 minutes to concentrate the flavors and reduce the liquid. Add the sage, rosemary and a generous amount of pepper and cook for 1 minute.2.
Add the beans and their cooking liquid (or 1/4-cup water, if using canned beans). Cook until there's no liquid pooling on the bottom of the pan and the sauce coats and sticks to the beans, about 5 minutes. Serve warm, dressed with pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.