This is my perfect baked potato. Something about the combination of cheesy white cheddar, fresh chives and warm potato screams comfort to me.
Swap options: Add whatever cheese you like to this dish. Add bacon if desired, and you can swap the chives with scallions.
- 6 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Using a fork, poke holes into the potatoes. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Remove the potatoes from the oven and cool slightly. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
4. Then cut in half lengthwise and scoop out all of the insides with a spoon into a medium bowl, leaving 1/4-inch of the outer layer of flesh and skin behind; transfer empty potato halves to a baking sheet. Add the cream cheese and 1 cup of butter, white cheddar cheese and 3/4 of the chives and mix until workable. Season with salt and pepper and divide mixture between potato skins.
5. Bake until warmed through and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Garnish with the remaining chives.