Turn leftover turkey, gravy and cranberry sauce into a delicious grilled cheese sandwich.
Technique tip: Make sure bread is thick enough to handle the hearty contents but not so thick that you can't eat it!
- 3 tablespoons jellied cranberry sauce
- 1½ teaspoons of grainy mustard
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup shredded leftover roast turkey, light and dark meat
- 2-3 tablespoons leftover gravy
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 slices sourdough sandwich bread
- 1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature, divided
1. In a small bowl, mix the cranberry sauce with the grainy mustard and set aside.
2. In a sauté pan, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium flame. Add the onion and cook until it beings to brown then add in shredded turkey and gravy with a touch of salt and pepper and stir. Let cool to room temperature, the mixture should be wet but not soupy.
3. Spread cranberry mustard mixture on both slices of bread, then layer with grated cheese on each piece.
4. On one slice, arrange the turkey mixture on top.
5. Carefully unite the two halves into one sandwich, then spread the top side of the bread with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
6. Invert the sandwich, butter-side down, onto a hot grill pan over medium-low heat. Spread the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
7. Grill until the bread is crusty and golden, flip the sandwich halfway through to grill on the other side. The sandwich is ready when the fillings are hot, and the cheese is melted.