I find that in addition to having cooked leftovers after Thanksgiving, I have lots of leftover ingredients, too. This soup makes the most of all the extra ingredients in the fridge as well as leftover turkey.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 leeks, cleaned and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 3 to 4 cups leftover cooked turkey, shredded or cubed
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 6 ounces uncooked egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add leeks, carrots, garlic and celery, and sauté 4 minutes, until soft. Add turkey, bay leaves, thyme, salt and black pepper, and stir to mix well. Add chicken broth and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, partially cover and simmer 10 minutes.
2. Return mixture to a boil and add egg noodles. Cook 10 minutes, until egg noodles are just tender. Stir in peas and cook until peas are just heated through, about 1 minute.
3. Remove from heat, discard bay leaves and stir in parsley.