Crunchy pickled vegetables, spicy sriracha mayo and a tender baguette work perfectly with any savory poultry leftovers.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 to 4 tablespoons sriracha
Pickled daikon and carrots
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1 daikon radish (about the same size), peeled and cut into 2-inch matchsticks
- 1/4 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
For the sandwich
- Leftover roasted turkey
- 1 French baguette or ciabatta bread
- ½ white onion, very thinly sliced
- ½ English cucumber, cut into strips or slices
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 2 jalapenos, thinly sliced (can omit)
Make the sriracha mayo:
In a small bowl, stir together 1 cup of mayo with the desired amount of sriracha. Mix well and set aside. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
Make the pickled daikon and carrots (ahead of time):
1. Put the carrot and daikon matchsticks into a bowl, add a tablespoon each of the sugar and salt and mix to blend. Let sit for 10 minutes to draw out the moisture. (When this process is complete, you should be able to bend and twist the carrot slices without breaking them.) Rinse off the vegetables and drain in a colander.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together the remaining sugar and salt with the warm water until dissolved. Add the vinegar (reduce the amount if you don't like super sour pickles), and then add the softened vegetables. Let sit for at least 1 hour to pickle or refrigerate while covered.
To assemble the sandwich:
Spread about 2 tablespoons of the sriracha mayo on each side of the baguette, then add a generous helping of the leftover turkey to the bottom side of each sandwich. Top with pickled carrots and daikon, sliced onion, cucumber, cilantro and jalapeño. Serve immediately.